
Even though we knew better, Michael and I used to stay with our kids until they fell asleep at night. We didn't mind because it was something we could do for them, but it was also hard on us because it was time consuming and we'd often fall asleep with them, only to stagger out of their room an hour or two later. About six months ago we finally decided to change our routine and do what we should have done years ago. To help facilitate the transition I gave each of them a "special" glass jar and told them each night they went to bed, stayed in bed and fell asleep by themselves, they'd get a coin. But if they called out for us to come back to their room or if they got out of bed for any reason other than to use the bathroom, they'd loose a coin each time they did it. It worked like a charm and was so liberating. We still spend a good amount of time with them before bed, reading, tickling their backs, talking and telling stories, but now we leave when they're awake and let them put themselves to sleep.
Somewhere along the way, they started asking what they could do with their coins? I told them they were theirs to do whatever they wanted to with them since they earned them. So they both decided they wanted to buy candy with them. ARG! But a deal is a deal, so we took them out to dinner in Gruene and then to this cute store where they sell all kinds of candy. They have fudge and candy in bulk as well as current favorites, novelty and older brands of candy. If you look closely in one picture, you can see Valomilks and the corner of the Cup o Gold box which were two of my favorites when I was a kid. Before we left the house, each of the kids put their coins in a ziplock bag, which they proudly set on the dinner table while we ate and then carried over to the general store when we were finished. When it came time to pay, they took their candy and bag of coins to the counter and paid for their treats all by themselves. The sales girl was such a good sport and helped each of them count out their coins...and didn't even take all the quarters. During the whole process, I couldn't help but think that their Pops would have been very proud of them. He was a banker before becoming a businessman and even at a very early age, he instilled in me the value of earning and spending wisely. I hope I'm able to pass on to my children some of the same values my father taught me because they were good solid lessons that have served me well in my life.

8 comments:
Thanks for the great idea about the coins! I see myself doing it that in the near future! Great storyboard!
aw that's very cool! I love stories like this! They look so proud of their accomplishment. :) When my oldest was 8, she brought all her hard earned cash/coins into the American Girl store to buy her first doll! (little did we know, that 2 yrs later she became their Kirsten/Kit in the live theater shows for a 3 yr run). The people there were fantastic about counting out $88.00 plus tax...all in small change! I will remember that moment forever, and ya know what? I don't think I got a picture of it back then. Where oh where was the 365 when my kids were little?? :D
One thing I am finding out through this 365 photography challenge is that I am not alone in many of the parenting struggles a parent goes through. You sound just like us when it comes time for the little ones to go to bed. It gets to be pretty late before my husband and I finally have some time to sit down together. I just may have to see if your idea works on my guys. Love your collage! I so need to learn how to do that!
What a terrific idea! I will have to remember this when my little girl gets older.
I agree with Tracy, it seems we all have a lot in common. Unfortunately we've start a bad habit of letting our daughter fall asleep with us before we put her to bed too. This is such a great idea to do with your kids and teaching them importance of saving a long the way. Way to go Mama! Such a great story.
We struggled with this with our youngest. Too bad I didn't think about the coin idea. Love the storyboard. Looks like they're both very proud of themselves.
Loved reading this. You are such good parents. So loving and passing on good things :-)
how fun! i still to this day haven't taken my kids in that store...the fear of one of them asking me every single day if we can go back, just scares me!
Post a Comment