The Rush Family

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Monday, August 15, 2011

227/365 - The first day of 1st grade

It was still dark when I went upstairs to wake Randi up for her first day of 1st grade. As I was rubbing her little cheek to get her to stir, it reminded me of the many hours we spent when she was tiny rocking together in the middle of the night, in those peaceful quiet hours when it was just her and I all alone in the world, separate beings yet blended together as one. I cherished those brief few minutes this morning before she rolled over and climbed out of bed, for once her feet hit the floor, I knew our lives would be different. Changed forever. She has been very excited to go to school and has been looking forward to this day all week. Something blossomed in her within the last year, and my normally shy, reserved, quiet girl who was unsure about doing new things or being left alone in a new situation was anxious and ready for her new adventure to begin. She barely ate breakfast because she could hardly wait to get dressed in her freshly pressed uniform. She let me do her hair without complaining and chose cute little butterflies to coordinate with her outfit. She put on her new size "2" shoes, omg, grabbed her backpack and lunchbox and was raring to go. She knows the 1st day of school photo drill oh so well and willingly went outside and stood wherever I asked her to and gave me a sheepish little smile that said it all without her saying anything at all.

When we got to school, she led the way into the gym and eagerly stood with her classmates until it was time for them to go to their classroom. Without any assistance from me, she hung up her backpack and took out the things she needed for her desk and went and sat down with the rest of her classmates. As I stood in the corner of the room observing the class and watching what she was doing, I noticed how little she looked sitting by herself in a student desk for the first time, but I also noticed something else...I noticed a beautiful young lady, full of confidence and joy, who was ready to start a new chapter in her life, and for the first time I was watching all this from a distance and not standing next to her with her little hand clutching mine, with her eyes full of tears and her heart full of worry. I can't say I was sad, and I didn't cry, rather I was happy for her and proud that she was finally finding her wings. I realized she didn't need me at that moment and I was somewhat forgotten......and that is exactly how it should be.

I wish you an amazing first day of 1st grade Sunshine. May you learn and grow and become everything your little heart desires.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


12 comments:

Amy said...

There you go, making me teary again. It's amazing to look at them and realize that they're becoming their own person, isn't it? Proud and bittersweet all that the same time. Hope she has a great time in 1st grade!

Carol said...

You're killing me. Sure, I have my kids in daycare all day now, but one day they'll HAVE to go to school, they might even WANT to go to school and I can't just go steal them back randomly at 1 pm in the afternoon...or can i? :)

Chelsea said...

Oh, I just got warm fuzzies reading this! Such an exciting time and what a great way for you to enjoy her independence. I'm proud of you, Momma, for letting her step into the world and being her rock when she needs you!!

grandmabish said...

You are a great mother, Kristin....you've heard the saying that mothers need to give their children two things..roots, and wings. You are doing a good job of both of those things. What a beautiful, confidant young lady Randi is! You can be very proud of her. Now you can enjoy a little more one on one with Ryan.

Unknown said...

So sweet... made me a little teary eyed. She is a beautiful young lady!

Kim said...

So excited for her...and you, Kristin! I think it must have been those swim lessons, huh? She turned a corner swimming in that river. Now she is ready to face new challenges with excitement. What a big, BEAUTIFUL girl you have there. I hope she has a fantastic year!!

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful post! And she is such a beautiful girl! Wishing her all the best this school year!

Megan said...

Well... you may not have cried, but I'll do it for you :) Children growing and maturing is so bittersweet. It's wonderful, positive and necessary, but the accomplishments still tug at my heartstrings and make me want to say "stop! stay little just a bit longer" :)

Sara said...

This is a lovely post, hope she has a wonderful time at school. She looks like a lovely bright little girl.
I too had to go through the same exciting but anxious experience earlier this year with my son starting his prep year of school. Now it's part of the big school here, in my day it was separate and it was a bit scary sending a 4.5 year old off to big school.
Thanks for visiting me at Chasing Rainbows, you asked about the "sandwich hug" we did it with camera on a tripod and timer in our corridor.

Michelle said...

:)

Catherine said...

Love that first portrait of her! Great post! Your capturing all the wonderful details of childhood!

Jaime said...

Aww...these are great pictures, but your post made me cry. :) Those treasured moments....they do pass by so quickly!

My little guy starts 1st grade tomorrow. He gets to meet his teacher tonight...so excited!