The Rush Family

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

250/365 - Happy 7th Birthday Sunshine

7 years ago today my life changed forever. The day started out like most other days at that time; I was 33 1/2 weeks pregnant, a little bit fat, still trying to get the nursery finished, and taking naps and resting whenever I got tired. I had no idea what was in store for me. I'd had some strange pressure and a bit of cramping for a couple of days, but not enough to worry or alarmed me, and nothing that a bowl of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Ice Cream couldn't fix. I was sitting at the computer, checking emails, enjoying my ice cream, when in an instant, everything changed. Without warning, my water broke. I didn't even know what it was at the time, and I really didn't know what to do, so I called a friend who told me to call my doctor. My doctor told me to head over to the hospital so they could take a look at me, so I called my Mom (Michael was in Colorado riding horses in the mountains with a friend) and she drove me to the hospital with only my cell phone, wallet and insurance card in my purse. I wasn't having a baby, so I didn't need anything else right? Well, come to find out, I was definitely having contractions and they were actually pretty steady, but the funny thing was, I couldn't feel them. The Doctor was concerned, so she put me on Magnesium Sulphate and several other things, but all I was worried about was getting a good nights sleep and how was I going to do that with a bunch of wires hooked up to me, a belt around my belly and all these machines beeping around me? I was just getting settled in as best I could, when I felt like I really needed to use the restroom, so I called my nurse. She took one look at me, called for the doctor and another nurse, told me to keep my hands inside my bed and she and the other nurse started wheeling me down the hall, really fast! I still never really felt the contractions, but I did feel an overwhelming urge to push, and push I did, and about 20 minutes later I found myself looking down at the most precious little angel I'd ever seen. You were in quite a hurry to make your entrance into the world, but when you finally got here, time stood completely still and it was as if the earth stopped rotating for just a brief moment. I fell in love with you the minute I first saw you, and I find myself loving you more and more every day. I love your sweetness, your kindness, your gentle eyes and sensitive soul. I love your silly, goofy, funny little personality and the way you laugh and the way you make me laugh. I love snuggling with you, and I adore holding your hand and feeling like we are one together. I love watching you see and experience things for the first time; I love watching you learn and grow, and I love watching you breath gently as you fall into a deep sleep, so tired at the end of the day. I love being your Mom, and I simply love you! Happy Birthday Sunshine. May your day be filled with as much joy and love as you bring into the world and may you always know what a special gift you are and how much you are truly loved.

I wanted to capture a shot of Randi on her birthday, but she really just wanted to go back inside and play with Teddy, so this is what I was able to get...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Until later when I was able to capture the girl that I know and love. Though this isn't the portrait picture I was trying to get earlier, it is my girl. The real Randi. The way I see her every day and the girl that makes my heart sing.


Randi,
I saw this when I was out earlier today, and it made me catch my breath because it spoke straight to my heart, so this my sweet girl is my birthday gift to you.

My Five Best Promises.....

I promise to always love you...
...to have fun with you
...to respect you
...to help you find your dreams and let you live them
and finally...
I promise to be here for you...always! Right here!

Happy Birthday Sunshine!

10 comments:

MLE said...

She is beautiful :) I hope she has a great day today. Happy Birthday Sunshine :)

Amy said...

I love your writing style-so full of emotion and feeling. Happy birthday to Randi! Hope she has an amazing day. Love both shots of her-she's beautiful.

Misty said...

Call me a sap but this brought tears to my eyes just because I know the overwhelming love you feel for your little girl. I have goosebumps! Happy Birthday, sweet girl!

karren said...

I hope that Randi had an indcredible birthday today. She is so beautiful...looks like her mommy! I really enjoyed reading your delivery story, (lucky you), and your sweet expressions of love to your little girl.

HeidiMcGBlaue said...

Love your promises. You are such a wonderful mother!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! Happy birthday Randi!

The Yutzy Family said...

Happy Birthday Randi! Love your birthday post on your sweet girl! :)

Melissa said...

That made me cry! I loved the birth story, what a crazy but most amazing day you had! She is a beautiful little girl and she is so lucky to have you as a Mommy. I love that shot of her in B&W, just sings of personality! I hope she had a wonderful day and those promises to her are wonderful! Happy Birthday Randi!

KAREN said...

thank you for sharing your birth story... what a beautiful little girl you have!

Kim said...

What a beautiful love story. I love these pictures of your sweet seven year old. And my favorite of all? The promise to help her find her dreams and let her live them. I swear that is the best gift a parent can give a child. What an incredibly lucky girl Randi is to have you as her mom.